Sweet and salty marry well in this prosciutto di Parma fig pizza topped with peppery arugula and shaved Parmesan cheese. The fig preserves are a tad sweet, but sprinkling some kosher salt over the preserves before topping with the mozzarella cheese tames some of the sweet. If you can’t find the fig preserves, fresh sliced figs can be substituted. The pizza dough is easy to make and can be kept in the refrigerator for several days before using. In fact, I find the dough is more manageable and tastes much better than pizza dough used right away.
Proscuitto and Fig Mise En Place
Pizza is the theme for our We Knead to Bake Facebook group. Aparna, our admin, broke her wrist and was unable to choose a bread for us to bake, so suggested pizza, sweet or savory as the bread for September. My pizza is a bit of both! Happy healing to Aparna and looking forward to October’s bread.
The pizza dough is my own creation, but the prosciutto di Parma fig arugula and shaved Parmesan topping is an adaptation from Ree Drummond’s-The Pioneer Kitchen.
- 1 envelope instant or rapid rise yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a medium bowl, add warm water and sugar. Sprinkle the yeast over the water , stir and let stand 5 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in olive oil, flour and salt. Stir until dough comes together. Transfer to a lightly floured board and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Shape into a ball and place in a lightly oiled bowl, turn to coat. Cover with a towel and let rise until doubled, about an hour. Alternatively, cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several days before using. Makes one large pizza or 4 pizzettes.
Proscuitto Fig Arugula Topping
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons fig spread
- Kosher salt to taste
- 12 ounces fresh Mozzarella, sliced thin
- 6 ounces thinly sliced Proscuitto di Parma
- 1 bunch arugula, rinsed and spun dry in a salad spinner
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
To Make the Pizza
- Preheat oven to 500° F. Remove pizza dough from bowl. Transfer to a lightly floured surface. Divide into 4 pieces. Roll each piece into a round. Transfer to a large parchment lined baking sheet. Brush each piece with olive oil. Divide fig spread among the 4 rounds. Sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Lay slices of mozzarella cheese over each round. Sprinkle lightly with salt and freshly ground pepper. Bake for 12-15 minutes in a hot oven or until crust is golden and cheese is bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and immediately lay the prosciutto slices over the hot pizza. Just before serving, sprinkle on the arugula and shaved Parmesan. Serve immediately.
ALL CONTENT © CAFE LYNNYLU
Please do not use images or text without my permission.