A dessert that comes together quickly and will awe your dinner guests. A bottle of fruity red wine, some sugar, the mixture reduced by half, then flavored with vanilla bean paste makes a perfect heady syrup to which is added loads of blueberries and raspberries. The ruby red syrup and berries drizzled over vanilla ice cream has been one of my dessert favorites for a long time so I wanted to share it with you.
Mixed Berries in Red Wine Syrup
- 1 bottle (750ml) fruity red wine
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup (8 ounces) fresh blueberries, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (8 ounces) fresh raspberries, rinsed and drained
- In a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, combine wine and sugar. Stir to dissolve. Increase heat to medium-high. Bring syrup to a boil and cook until reduced by half, about 15 minutes, taking care that it doesn’t boil over. Remove from heat and add vanilla bean paste. Let cool.
- Place the blueberries and raspberries in a bowl. Pour the red wine syrup over the berries. Refrigerate covered tightly at least two hours. Serve over vanilla ice cream or ice cream of choice.
That’s it! So Easy
ALL CONTENT © CAFE LYNNYLU
Please do not use images or text without my permission.